Over the holidays I sat down with Bill Hartman to talk about working, learning, how to create the perfect athlete, as well as how he broke into the publishing industry.
If you’re not already familiar with Bill, he is a physical therapist working out of Indianapolis. There he co-owns a gym and PT clinic. His clients include kids, professional athletes, CEOs, and average joes.
His internship program at IFAST has generated a number of world class physical therapists and trainers, many of whom now work in the NBA.
This was a fun talk and I hope you enjoy it.
- 0:56 – Building successful interns
- 6:42 – Staying ahead of the curve
- 10:13 – Breaking into the publishing industry
- 12:37 – Note taking and writing
- 17:45 – Raising the the perfect athlete
- 26:35 – Maximizing the intelligence of your child
- 30:08 – What to stop doing in the gym
- 36:18 – How to build relationships and a professional network
- 41:32 – How to start a successful gym
- 48:47 – Book recommendations for learning, neuroscience, and training
- 59:35 – How to make behavior changes
- 1:02:34 – Evolving trends in the fitness industry
- 1:05:28 – Postural Restoration (PRI)
- 1:07:55 – Highly Sensitive People and managing your superpower
Books mentioned in the podcast are linked here for convenience
Why Zebras Don’t get ulcers – Robert Sapolsky
On Intelligence – Jeff Hawkins
The Brain that Changes Itself – Norman Doidge
The Body has a Mind of It’s Own – Sandra Blakeslee
Balance: In Search of the Lost Sense – Scott McCredie
Recognizing and Treating Breathing Disorders – Leon Chaitow, Christopher Gilbert, Dinah Bradley
Running: Biomechanics and Exercise Physiology in Practice – Frans Bosch, Ronald Klomp
Supertraining – Yuri Verkhoshansky
Special Strength Training: Manual for Coaches – Yuri Verkhoshansky, Natalia Verkhoshansky
Ultimate MMA Conditioning – Joel Jamieson
Adaptations in Sports Training – Atko Viru
Guyton and Hall Textbook of Medical Physiology – John Hall
Medical Physiology – Walter Boron, Emile Boulpaep
Neuroscience – Dale Purves
The Willpower Instinct – Kelly McGonigal
The Upside of Stress – Kelly McGonigal
If you’d like to see more from Bill
If you liked this episode please share it with your friends.
Lead image curtesy Lance Goyke